The 'EU4Climate' initiative supports the development and implementation of climate policies by the Eastern Partnership countries, contributing to low emission and climate resilient development, as well as to their commitments to the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
The overall objective is to contribute to climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as development towards a low-emissions and climate-resilient economy.
Specifically the initiative aims to:
- Strengthen the capacity for domestic implementation of the Paris Agreement.
- Enhance transparency of emissions and climate action.
- Mainstream climate in other policy sectors, such as energy, transport, agriculture.
- Achieve the objectives of climate-related provisions of bilateral agreements with the EU and of the Energy Community Treaty through advancing their implementation.
Actions are clustered around seven priority results:
- implementation and update of national determined contributions (NDCS) to the Paris agreement.
- development of mid-century low-emission development strategies (LEDS).
- introduction of robust domestic emissions monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) frameworks.
- alignment with the EU acquis included in bilateral agreements and energy community treaty on climate action.
- mainstreaming climate in sectors and sectoral guidelines for the implementation of Paris agreement.
- climate investment.
- adaptation planning: adoption and when necessary development of adaptation plans.
Partnership that greens
Environment & climate change
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Republic of Moldova, Ukraine
Funding by the EU:
€8 000 000
EU Project Number: